After a hugely successful T1, the Lightning Workshops return in T2!
Lightning Workshops are hands-on 1 hour sessions that develop your teaching and course in a collaborative environment! In each workshop, you will have the opportunity to design, refine and implement strategies to improve the student learning experience. Open to all teaching staff, each workshop begins with a 10 minute presentation on common student and staff concerns before engaging in discussion and collaborative work. The sessions are highly collaborative, informal and have a community atmosphere. Participants include teaching staff, educational developers and support staff. Casual staff are welcome to attend. Sessions such as those on assessment design have educational technology support assistance available. After each session staff are free to utilise the drop-in session time to collaborate further, ask questions or discuss blue sky ideas in teaching and learning.
Staff are asked to bring with them resources relevant to each session such as their course outline, a learning activity and the highest weighted assessment they are currently using in the course or alternatively an assessment they have identified an issue with.
Please review the sessions below and register for those that suit your schedule.
O-Week - Trimester Teaching Starter Pack
- 10am Tuesday 23 May - Communication Strategies to Bring Students Along for the Journey
- Explore strategies to communicate with students and build quality classroom relationships to support learning.
- 1pm Tuesday 23 May - Planning Interactive Learning Sessions (Lecture, Tutorial, Seminars)
- In this session, you will collaborate to create a learning sequence where students are active, and you play a facilitator role.
- 11am Wednesday 24 May - Planning Interactive Learning Sessions (Lecture, Tutorial, Seminars) (Repeat workshop)
- 1.30pm Wednesday 24 May - Teacher Presence
- In this session, you will have the opportunity to experiment with different teaching styles in the classroom, classroom organisation and management.
- 11am Thursday 25 May - Teacher Presence (Repeat workshop)
- 1.30pm Thursday 25 May - Communication Strategies to Bring Students Along for the Journey (Repeat workshop)
Week 1 - Setting Students Up for Learning Success in Your Course
- 10am Tuesday 30 May - Motivating Your Students to Learn
- Develop a plan to motivate your students to learn based on evidenced based practices from Self-Determination Theory and Self-Regulation theory.
- 1pm Tuesday 30 May - Scaffolding Learning
- In this session, you will construct a learning task or activity using scaffolding structures that progressively build skills.
- 10am Thursday 1 June - Scaffolding Learning (Repeat workshop)
- 1pm Thursday 1 June - Motivating Your Students to Learn (Repeat workshop)
- 10am Tuesday 6 June - Integrating Groupwork and Team Work Assessment in Your Class
- In this session, you will design a group or teamwork-based task based on evidence-based teaching practices.
- 1pm Thursday 8 June - Integrating Group Work and Teamwork Assessment in Your Class (Repeat workshop)
- 11am Tuesday 13 June - Designing Rubrics That Work
- Design a new rubric or refine an existing rubric in this popular session
- 2pm Tuesday 13 June - TILT in Assessment
- In this session, you will apply strategies from TiLT to make the clarity of your assessment design explicit to students.
- 10am Thursday 15 June - TILT in Assessment (Repeat workshop)
- 1pm Thursday 15 June - Designing Rubrics That Work (Repeat workshop)
- 10am Tuesday 20 June - From Pencil to AI - Designing Assessment for Learning
- In this session, you will look at creative ways you can tweak your assessment to address AI while ensuring that quality learning can take place.
- 1pm Thursday 22 June - From Pencil to AI - Designing Assessment for Learning (Repeat workshop)
- 10am Tuesday 27 June - Designing Effective Assessment Questions
- In this session, you will explore effective questioning strategies for use in the classroom and assessment. Follow up drop-in sessions will be run specifically for hands-on assistance in designing MCQ and Essay Questions.
- 11am Tuesday 27 June - MCQ Design Drop-In
- 1pm Thursday 29 June - Designing Effective Assessment Questions (Repeat workshop)
- 2pm Thursday 29 June - Essay Question Design Drop-In
- 10am Tuesday 11 July - From Feedback to Feedforward
- Use efficient feedback practices to get better quality student learning and assessment.
- 1pm Thursday 13 July - From Feedback to Feedforward (Repeat workshop)
Please register for the sessions you wish to attend by completing the form here. You are welcome to register for as many sessions as you would like.